The Culinary Arts AAS degree prepares graduates for management-level positions within foodservice and related industries. The degree adds depth and breadth to production and industry knowledge (understanding and application) as well as additional communication and general education knowledge.
Students who successfully complete the Culinary Arts AAS program should develop skills and knowledge appropriate for:
- management employment in the foodservice industry, in kitchen, bakery or foodservice venues;
- apply food and bakery production and operational functions;
- and demonstrate a strong understanding of the major functions of the kitchen including food theory, sanitation and safety practices, production methods, use of tools and equipment and practical experience in running a small catering operation;
- apply team development skills as an integral part of foodservice organization;
- apply the use of ingredients and the development of a menu and individual dishes;
- be proficient in operational functions and principles in the foodservice industry;
- discuss the importance of the value of persons in a team;
- develop proficiency in kitchen production and the communication skills needed at the management level in the foodservice industry;
- utilize technical/computer skills for kitchen communication, product purchasing and cost control;
- apply skills for human relations activities;
- apply effective routine, technical, and persuasive styles of written communication;
- apply effective verbal communications in various settings;
- demonstrate necessary professional skills for conducting business in the foodservice industry;
- and demonstrate effective communications, problem-solving, and human relations skills.
Links: Culinary Arts Degree Worksheet
2-Year Term-To-Term Plan
AAS DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
All degree candidates must comply with Comprehensive Requirements, Specific Requirements, and General Education Requirements for the AAS Degree.
Less Than 1-Year and 1-Year Certificates available. See TBCC Catalog for more information.
- Culinary Arts One Year Certificate Worksheet
For more information contact Career Education Advisor (503) 842-8222 x1145.
(PDF for printing) (TEXT ONLY)